Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Asian Business Show appearance


Was invited to appear on Asia's version of CNBC on October 28th in downtown Bangkok (what a massive and beautiful city!) to discuss branding and marketing. I was on there with one of Thailand's top brand strategist and unfortunately the show's question and answer dialogue between her and the hosts were done in Thai, so I could not really rebut. And the Q&A between myself and the hosts was done in English and Thai, so it made for an interesting interview, but put me at a disadvantage when it came to feeding off her answers if I felt they were wrong.



In any event I stuck with what I believe is the CORE of all marketing and that is that before you develop any ad pieces or marketing campaigns you must FIRST ask yourself this question;

"Why would anyone do business with me" and than from their mold your entire marketing plan around the answer to that question. I told the millions of viewers that if you do that, you will SUCCEED! Period.


Look, promoting a brand is fine but let's be honest; will you prospect remember your logo two weeks later when they see it? Will they be able to remember what it stood for? What your product or service was? NO! So to spend enormous amounts of money and time on promoting your "brand" is an exercise in futility....initially. Get the MESSAGE out FIRST, make sure you can answer the question the prospect will ask themselves before they even consider doing business with you and that is... "What's In It For Me?" THEN you can slowly begin building the brand. But, develop your marketing message first and foremost and you will have laid the foundation for entrepreneurial success.

No comments:

Post a Comment